My Dad My Hero

I have always been a sister's boy. Don't get me wrong, I come from a very close knit family. I love my parents to the core and vice versa. But somehow my elder sister who is three years older to me has had a special bonding with me. Since both of my parents were working, she used to take care of me, feed me, take me to school and guide me. I love her like no one else in this world.

My Dad My Hero

We often give our mothers more importance than anyone else in the family. No doubt she is the one who has brought us into this world. But in this process we often tend to neglect the unsung hero, our father. Many may associate fathers with just minting money and discipline but he is the one who holds the family together. He is the backbone of any family with his firm principles and of course emotional, physical and financial support. I feel everyone went running into his arms when scared during childhood.

With so much hoopla going around Father's Day, I am sharing a short anecdote on how doting he is. I have never expressed my love for him but he has constantly supported me through thick and thin. I hope to give him a tight hug this Sunday and tell him how much I love him. We males are not much open when it comes to emotions but that should not be any excuse.

When I was a kid, my mother was the principal of Government Girls School, Varanasi. My father was a lecturer in the Banaras Hindu University. Like any typical government job, my mother got transferred to Gorakhpur (around 350 kms from Varanasi). I was around seven and my sister around ten years old. Now what. We were too young to be left motherless. The schools had started and it was mid session. So there was no point that we could have relocated to Gorakhpur. My mom could not have refused the transfer as it was along with promotion. She was supposed to revert the transfer back to Varanasi but that action was going to take at least a year. That left us with only our father to compromise. And he did. Big time.

Taking care of two naughty children is no joke that too when the kids know that their mom is away. Our father took  the most shocking yet selfless decision. He quit his job as the University did not grant him a year's leave. He said that his children were his topmost priority and at no cost he was willing to jeopardize the care of his children.

During that tough one year when our mom was away, our father did every single thing that our mom did to please us. He would whip up our favourite meals, pack our lunch, help with our homeworks, etc etc. He used to take us out for having dosa and we used to be overjoyed. Slowly that year passed away with our father's sacrifice.

My father has supported me in so innumerable ways that I can never pay him back. Not that he wants anything in return, but I want to express my gratitude. My father stays about 1000 kms away from me in Varanasi. But physical distance is hardly a barrier. I want to give him a tight hug this Sunday (even though I should do that every single day) and tell him how much he means to me. So go and #HugYourDad and tell him how much you love him.

“This father’s day, I am expressing my love towards my dad by participating in the #HugYourDad activity at BlogAdda in association with Vicks.”


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Effect of COVID 19 on edible oil industry and Palm oil

SCHIPHOL AIRPORT TO AMSTERDAM CITY

A day in my life in Bewakoof.com Joggers and T-shirt